Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Episode 5 – I cook chicken picked from garbage using expired milk


So when you use someone else’s house for your hike preps, you want to feel home. Oh well at least let’s say, you want to be a part of that home. So I tried J

For someone who rarely cooks at home and when that cooking is well limited to some healthy, easy snacks, prepping a meal is quite a task. But for a woman who was planning to trek to base camp, this cannot be anything daunting.

So while I was in charge of this “home” while the owner is busy at work, I decided to do a little bit of clean up and “cook”. So the selected food was Pasta - Easy and healthy.

Since there are many recipes available online, even decided to search for one that is different. So I finally found one which requires milk to be added to the mixture with eggs, chicken, and other vegetables.

The owner of the house being the only person living, has the chicken that must be thrown out and the milk that is expired in the fridge until the garbage truck comes (this was learnt after the fact) and I did NOT KNOW!

So I pick the chicken from a small bag and was thinking to myself as to why so little chicken is still left over. With greatest difficulty get the little skin left out of the bones and cook. Then got the milk that was in the fridge and mixed it and finished cooking. After finishing the dishes, I decided to have a glass of milk and poured myself from the same carton I used to cook.

One sip! It was expired. First thing that came in to my mind was that I spent almost one hour prepping the dish and I am not going to re-do.

Crisis management:

Step 1 – Taste the dish and see if it tastes weird – No.

Step 2 – Think of consequences – Bad tummy in worst case scenario – Can manage

Step 3 – Should I admit the same and throw this – No

Step 4 – Will I someday admit – Yes

Conscience clear and move ahead.

So the host is back home and the dinner is served. While watching a movie, we eat.

First remark – It tastes good. My guilty mind creaks. I ask for forgiveness within and move on. We are about to finish the dinner when he asks: from where did you get the chicken and I show. All I remember was me feeling awkward because I have used thrown out chicken which I wasn’t aware of.

Right now, I wanted to admit that even the milk used was expired but why blow the fire out of proportion anyway. So I keep shut.

Not a pleasant ending to my cooking episode. I prayed for no bad tummies for that night before sleep.

And few weeks later, I admitted that I used expired milk to cook and everything was fine. It was too late to be pissed off about. 

Next – The big day is finally here..

No comments:

Post a Comment